Going on exchange to Paris, but generally slack at emails, so if you really wanna know what I've been up to, feel free to hit up this blog. and please don't forget to keep me updated on your lives too! Cheers, Cole

Saturday, May 21, 2011

La Liberté

I finally finished exams (I won't waste important time describing their difficulty) and have been celebrating ever since! It's also finally feels like spring and Paris is buzzing.

On Monday night I went to a concert in the 19th arrondissement with Ross. The venue was very chic, with a little art gallery out the back, and the band was called Toro y Moi. It was awesome and we even managed to meet Chaz (the main musician) afterwards; we felt very cool.




On Tuesday I slept in, and then spent the day café hopping. We have found a great new place near uni (owned by an Australian of course), so I went to print some forms and then ordered a 'flat white'. yeahhh.

In the evening I went to meet Anthony and Jane Dinte for dinner, who were visiting Paris for a few days. It was great to see them and they bravely trekked up my 120 stairs to check out my 'apartment' (read: shoebox). We then had dinner at a restaurant on Rue de Buci, a fun little alleyway nearby. Anthony and I also tasted some escargots. Très français.



On Wednesday I met my friends Paris and Zoe at the Grand Palais (across the road from the Petit Palais) to see an installation by Anish Kapoor. It is an annual exhibition called "Monumenta" and it certainly was monumental! It was basically a huge balloon-like structure, that was supposedly meant to make you feel like you were inside the womb, and it was pressurised so you feel like you're in an airplane.






It was HUGE (35 metres high).

It was then boiling hot so we went to get ice-cream from Amorino in the Tuileries. Pistachio and strawberry. Mmmm.



On Wednesday night we celebrated my friend Zoe's 21st, with a party at Jake's followed somehow with a rager at Café Oz. I have no idea how we ended up at a bar that sells Coopers', is covered in Aboriginal Art and has a giant plastic crocodile stuck to the front door.



On Thursday we had some Monet madness, starting at the Musée Marmottan Monet in the 13th arrondissement, which has a huge collection in an old hunting pavilion. There was also an incredible collection of work by the brothers Jean and Raoul Dufy. We weren't allowed to take photos inside but I highly recommend!

We then had lunch in a park nearby and I had a delicious coffee eclair (Dad you will be jealous!)


From there we headed back to the Tuileries to l'Orangerie, the art gallery where Monet's famous waterlily paintings are displayed. It was so peaceful and we sat there for half an hour just admiring.




After that I went home for a nap in preparation for a big night!

I will continue my adventures soon but for now have to head out. à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment