Going on exchange to Paris, but generally slack at emails, so if you really wanna know what I've been up to, feel free to hit up this blog. and please don't forget to keep me updated on your lives too! Cheers, Cole

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Le plaisir se poursuit (the fun continues)

I'm going to backtrack a bit before I blog about my trip to Vienna, because I had my friend Ben from Sydney come and visit!

So last Thursday night we all went Ross and Simon's for a crazy hat party to celebrate Molly and Ben's birthdays. It was a great night, everyone got really into it, and a few of us were particularly resourceful. My showercap proved a hit.




In case you haven't figured it out, I went as a duck.

The next morning I had breakfast with Simon, and then he got on the Eurostar to London to catch a flight home to Australia. It's really sad that everyone is leaving; the two Zoe's and I actually nearly started crying when we were talking about it the other day.

I then went back to meet Ross and we headed to a picnic at Buttes Chaumont, a beautiful park quite far out in the 19th arrondissement. It has a beautiful view over Paris and we munched baguettes, cheese and pâté.





That evening I went to a party at my French friend Thomas' apartment. He is one of the guys coming on exchange to Sydney in July. It was cool to meet all the SciencesPo kids coming to Australia, and I am excited to show them around (I also enjoyed freaking them out when they asked questions about spiders - YES they do exist, and they can be big and/or harmful).

Ben Couston (friend from Sydney) was actually supposed to arrive in that evening from Vienna but missed his flight and had to book another, much more expensive one the following morning. He eventually arrived around 9:30am Saturday and we headed straight over to the Pompidou centre, where they have changed their collection. I particularly enjoyed the giant rainbow couch.






As always the view from the top was stunning.

We then headed home for a quick nap, as we were both fairly sleep-deprived, and then we went to a cool Mexican place for dinner, where you sit at the bar and they make the food in front of you.


We then drank a few bottles of wine on the quai by the Seine, and went to meet Zoe, Jake and some others at a bar nearby. We met Zoe's mum, Tracy, and we all had a tequila shot to celebrate surviving 'The Rapture', i.e. the end of time, which was supposed to have arrived.

After that we somehow ended up at a club on a boat, where they played a strange mix of pirate and club music, but the dancing was crazy! After getting home around 4am we crashed completely.

We slept in on Sunday and then Ben and I headed to Le Louvre. I always forget how huge it is and to be honest I have been avoiding it because I always find it overwhelming. Luckily however there was no queue and we wandered through, past Napoleon's incredible apartments and obviously La Joconde (the Mona Lisa) and the Venus de Milo.













After that we walked over to Eggs&Co. for lunch (home of the cute barista) and then caught the metro to the Arc de Triomphe to check out the crazy round-about.






We then went to Chinatown for dinner with Ross, before meeting my friends Lyndon and Rohit for drinks on Rue Mouffetard. They are both from UNSW and Lyndon has been studying with me and Rohit is on exchange in Copenhagen. It was then time to head home for much-needed sleep!

On Monday morning we woke up nice and early and headed to the Eiffel Tower to try and avoid the queue. Luckily we were walking up the stairs, but at 9:30, before the tower had even opened, the queue to go up in the lift looked a couple of hours long. It was a beautiful, clear day so the view was amazing.





After a quick falafel it was time to head to the airport and start the journey to Vienna.

I will continue my Vienna adventures tomorrow, as apparently I have to be out of my apartment today, not tomorrow, and some random guy just moved in with his suitcases (a little bit awkward). So now the fun begins. Stupid amounts of luggage + 6 flights of stairs = a not-so-fun afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment