Going on exchange to Paris, but generally slack at emails, so if you really wanna know what I've been up to, feel free to hit up this blog. and please don't forget to keep me updated on your lives too! Cheers, Cole

Monday, March 7, 2011

Sexy Sweden

Ok now for the continuation of Spring Break....

I woke up at 7am on the Tuesday morning and left the hostel in Barcelona to catch the metro to the airport. After flying from Barcelona to Paris I had to run to catch my plane and didn't have time to check in my bag. It was small enough to take as hand luggage, but as I got to the front of the security line, I realised I had scissors plus an entire cosmetics case of soap, shampoo, etc. Luckily I found the youngest security man, smiled sweetly and begged him to let me take everything through... SUCESS! I am probably now being recruited by terrorist organisations...

I then flew Paris to Frankfurt, changed planes and flew to Stockholm, where I arrived at 6:30pm, got straight on a 20 minute train to Uppsala and met with my friend Julia who is on exchange there. I literally had a piece of toast and then we hit the party!


Basically there are all these student houses called 'nations' and each night of the week a different one holds the party. Tuesday nights are at 'Snerikes'. Everyone was really friendly, spoke perfect English, and WOW are the Swedes good looking. Literally every single one.

They also have these drinks called 'Fish Shots' which taste like the mints 'Fisherman's Friends' and I must say the amount everyone drinks here probably puts American college kids to shame.


Luckily it is a student town, so the night ends early around 1am and we headed back to her apartment to sleep.

In the morning we woke up and caught the train into Stockholm for some sightseeing and shopping. I didn't actually realise that Stockholm is made up of a bunch of islands, but it is beautiful, and I got really lucky with the weather. The week before I arrived it had been negative 12 degrees and snowing, but the week I was there it was only around 0, with the sun reflecting off the snow.


We wandered around 'Gamla Stan', which means 'Old Town' and saw the cute cobbled streets and old houses. I also saw the Nobel Museum but didn't have time to go inside.


Jules and I then walked to the Stockholm Palace where the Swedish kings used to live. It is HUGE!


After that I spotted some curly shaped lollies that I just couldn't resist.


We then hit the shops pretty hard, I managed to buy a jacket and then two of her friends came into Stockholm to meet us for dinner, before we all caught the train back to Uppsala for an early night, as Thursdays are known to be crazy.

On Thursday morning Jules showed me around Uppsala, which looked stunning under all the snow.


And this is the river, which is currently frozen over...


We then caught the bus to.... IKEA!!! You can't go to Sweden without visiting this extremely important tourist attraction haha. It was enormous, with every bit of furniture and homeware imaginable!


We went to the restaurant inside for our Swedish meatballs with mashed potato and lingonberry jam. Amazing. I will have to trek out to Rhodes when I get home just for that.


However as we were finishing lunch the alarm went off and the whole store was evacuated because of some 'technical difficulty'. We waited outside for 15 minutes and then went back in, where I managed to purchase Gustav (I named him after the kings of Sweden).


We then all headed home to get ready for the evening shenanigans. The Thursday night club/nation is absolutely beautiful, and we danced hard!


I headed home around 3am to get some sleep and in the morning said adjö to Jules and Sweden and began my long journey back home to Paris (via Frankfurt again). An excellent spring break if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment