Going on exchange to Paris, but generally slack at emails, so if you really wanna know what I've been up to, feel free to hit up this blog. and please don't forget to keep me updated on your lives too! Cheers, Cole

Friday, July 15, 2011

No sprechen le Deutsch

I don't speak German. Everyone who read my name off my passport immediately tried speaking to me (for those that don't know, my last name means 'Son of a Lion' in German). The lady at the front desk of the hostel was in hysterics when she read it... 'Ohhhh... that is the cutest last name everrr'.

But back to the trip, after our tour we had a quick stop for a German lunch (schnitzel and currywurst) and then decided to go to the Pergamon Museum, which houses Greek and Roman ruins as well as some of the Gates of Babylon, which were beautiful.




On the way home we found that is was the Gay Pride march near the Brandenburg Gate, and it was like Mardi Gras on steroids! We saw some crazy floats, danced in the street and enjoyed a few mojitos. I also found my friend Rohit (from Sydney).






We were pretty tired by about 10pm so headed home via a schnitzel restaurant (gotta have schnitzel and strudel in Germany) and Zoe and I decided to share given the ridiculous size of the portions!



The next day we did some more eating, this time a “German breakfast”, which was amazing, cheeses, meats, veggies and fruit with lots of brown bread. From there it was only a short walk to the Mauerpark markets where I managed to do a fair amount of shopping (luckily not at Paris prices).



It was my last afternoon so I then decided to visit an exhibit next to a section of the wall called ‘Topography of Terror’. It is located at the empty site of the former headquarters of the Gestapo and the SS . After the war it was decided never again to build on the land. It was a very interesting and scary exhibit, as it was here that the administration for The Final Solution was initiated, but it was a lot to try and take in.


I got back to the hostel exhausted, then headed to the airport at the crack of dawn. Berlin was definitely one of my favourite cities so far, so much to learn, cool things to see and so many interesting people. Hopefully next time I can stay a bit longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment